Researching and teaching the history of economic thought in the face of the recent changes in economics and society
Universidad de Antioquia
Medellín November 16, 17 and 18, 2023
Local organizer: Alexander Tobón
The Ninth Latin American Congress of History of Economic Thought will bring together historians of economic thought with the purpose of discussing the theoretical problems, methods, controversies, and historical contexts that explain the evolution of the economic discipline and its place in society.
This academic space seeks to broaden the spectrum of research topics in the history of economic thought. The aim is to promote new approaches, perspectives, methods and bibliographic sources, which in turn favor the growth of networks of researchers and has a greater incidence of their production in the media of scientific dissemination.
This space also seeks to contribute to the revitalization of teaching in the history of economic thought in undergraduate and graduate studies, so that new generations of professionals can continue to take advantage of the enormous intellectual wealth of this area of university education.
The conference wishes in particular to receive proposals on the following topics:
1. The teaching of the history of economic thought (syllabus, digital education platforms, manuals).
2. The current state of economics discipline from the perspective of the history of economic thought.
3. The history of economic thought from a gender perspective.
4. The contribution of the new generation of historians of economic thought.
5. History of the relations between economics and political regimes.
6. Relationship between historians of economics and historians of other sciences.
7. Evolution of the boundaries between economics and other disciplines (sociology, anthropology, political science, law, physics, psychology).
8. Economic thinking (ideas, practices and institutions) facing problems such as climate change, inequality, degrowth, etc. in the history.
9. Making history of economic thought in the digital era.
10. Political activism and history of economic thought.
As in previous ALAHPE conferences, papers addressing any other topics, episodes and periods covered by the history of the discipline and related topics are also welcome.
Nancy Folbre (University of Massachusetts Amherst)
Juan Flores Zendejas (Université de Genève)
Mauricio Coutinho (Universidade Estadual de Campinas)
Rebeca Gomez Betancourt (Université Lyon 2-Triangle)
Eduardo Angeli (Federal University of Parana, Brazil)
Juan Acosta (Universidad del Valle, Colombia)
Luiz Felipe Bruzzi (Federal University of Minas Gerais, Brazil)
Luis Cáceres (University of the Republic, Uruguay)
Rebeca Gómez Betancourt (Lumiere Lyon 2 University, France)
Marianne Johnson (University of Wisconsin, Oshkosh, United States)
Matari Pierre (National Autonomous University of Mexico)
Monika Meireles (National Autonomous University of Mexico)
José Manuel Menudo (Pablo de Olavide University, Spain)
Simona Pisanelli (University of Salento, Italy)
Alexander Tobón (University of Antioquia, Colombia)
Melissa Vergara Fernández (Erasmus University Rotterdam, Netherlands)
Local organizing committee (Universidad de Antioquia, Colombia)
Maria Isabel Restrepo Estrada
Danny García Callejas
Juan Carlos Velásquez Torres
YSI Pre-Conference Workshop @ ALAHPE
The INET Young Scholars Initiative (YSI) group will organize a workshop on November 15, 2023, at the University of Antioquia (Medellín, Colombia), one day before the beginning of this year’s ALAHPE Conference. For more information, see: https://ysi.ineteconomics.org/project/63c9a4619ed97f3757976fee/event/63d6bba28595f72c2af69520
1. Launch of the call for papers: February 1, 2023
2. Submission of proposals:
– Individual papers: send an abstract of maximum 500 words and its respective title using the form below
– Organized sessions: send an abstract of maximum 1000 words and their respective title to the email email@example.com
Abstracts may be written in Spanish, English or Portuguese. The deadline is April 15, 2023.
3. Acceptance of proposals:
The proposals accepted by the scientific committee will be communicated to their authors on June 15, 2023.
4. Submission of complete papers:
The complete works may be written in Spanish, English or Portuguese. They must be sent until October 15, 2023, to email firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Presentation of papers at the conference:
The oral presentation may be in Spanish, English or Portuguese, but the slides must be written in English. The conference will be entirely in-person.
6. YSI Pre-Conference Workshop @ ALAHPE
In the following weeks, a call for papers will be issued for the Young Scholars Initiative Pre-Conference Workshop @ ALAHPE. The workshop will take place on the eve of the ALAHPE Conference. Its title is “Challenges, prospects, and pitfalls of the research on recent topics in HET.” Partial Funding for young scholars to attend the workshop will be available.
See you in Medellin November 16- 18!